Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SENT!

Yesterday I read through John 17 and it was very radical. The 26 verses of John 17 are having more impact on my heart right now than maybe anything else that I have read/meditated on in quite some time.

There are two themes in John 17:
First, Jesus prays and Jesus prays thoroughly. In this one chapter we witness Jesus praying for himself, his disciples, and for all believers. The second theme, and the one I want to spend some time in is this, We are a sent people.

Lets dig into the word a bit.

John 17:3 (Jesus is praying for himself) -- "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
John 17:18,19 (Jesus is praying for his disciples) -- "As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctified myself, that they too be truly sanctified."
John 17:23 (Jesus is praying for all believers) -- "I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

In these prayers Jesus seems to pay a great deal of attention to the fact that He has been sent to this world by God the Father and that in-turn by us being his disciples (followers) we are sent to the world to communicate the necessity of Jesus' existence and that God sent Jesus, he did not just show up on accident.
Jesus' prayer is that there will be a realization that He is not here by chance but that He was sent by God. Jesus is intentional and moving and He has purpose.

There is intentionality in the use of the word sent as well. The dictionary defines the word sent and/or send as: to cause, permit, or enable to go: to send a messenger.

Being sent brings responsibility.

RECAP:
(17:3) God sent Jesus, (17:18) Jesus sent disciples into the world, (17:23) Disciples tell world God sent Jesus.

We are designed to be sent and we are entrusted fully with that responsibility as Christ followers.

12 comments:

Author said...

We must not forget our responsibilities, thank you for sharing.

XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

This is so true. We should know that we have an assignment and we are not just here by chance. I LOVE that God always wants to remind me that I am here for a reason and there is purpose in my life. God bless you. Check out my blog if you don't mind. Have a blessed day.

Tom said...

Hey just had a read through of your blog post. Gotta respect someone who gives that much respect to the scriptures.

Shame about some of the comments on here, some people have no respect.

Keep up the good work

T.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, really great tips and advice. I was interested by your comment,
Flights to Xiamen
Xiamen Flights

Telly C. said...

I like this! And better yet we were CHOSEN to be sent :)

Bunny said...

I hit "Next Blog" a few times and came across your blog. Thank you for sharing this. May God bless you and help you reach others through your blog.

Veer said...

I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.
Wonderful post, really great tips and advice. I was interested by your comment,
cheap flights to cebu
< Flights to cebu
< cebu flights

Anonymous said...

ceinture en cuir
veste chandail
chapeau
bottes louis vuitton
bottes burberry
chaussures Louis Vuitton

Soulier homme

sowmya said...

As i read your article, which is really impressive. Great work done. Keep posting more.
Funny rants

8585 said...

The latest release of the shoppable magazine for iPhone and iPad from the house ofGUCCI is filled with both trendsetting fashion and timeless craftsmanship. Now you can read, shop and share anytime, any place.
  グッチ バック&リュック
  グッチ ボストンバッグ
グッチ Iphoneケース

SteveBrad said...

I am loving this information so much.Please keep such kind of the information in the future also!!!!!
Edegra

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for great sharing!!
Nike NFL jerseys

Nike Elite jerseys

Nike Game jerseys