Saturday, June 14, 2008

Update from Kampala

Hey yall. So we have been in Kampala for about 4 days now and it is great. The cit y is very busy but it is beautiful here. The people are beautiful here. The culture is different but for sure beautiful. I wish I could explain everything that is going through my head right now but I cant so what I am going to do is just make a list of thoughts, I dont know how long it will be yet but here it goes:

1. Joy - Everyone that we have met so far is filled with such joy, their spirit is scary because it is so energized.

2. Mizungu - Which means white person, I now officially know how it feels to be the minority (and i am not talking going to Mexico for a missions trip minority).

3. Crowded - There are so many people and there is so little space. People, and this is no joke, live everywhere.

4. Loud - This culture never sleeps, people wake up at 6 or 7 and go to bed at 2 or 3. On my way into town from the airport we saw shop after shop (including barber shops) open and it was 1130pm.

5. Overwhelming - There has been a lot in the last 4 days.

6. Comfortable - I am starting to fall in love with this place.

7. Loud (again) - Dogs bark all night and rosters crow all morning. I actually think there might be a legit dog fight going on out side of my window right now.

8. Unbelievable - The unemployment rate in Kampala, Uganda is over 60 percent. There is more poverty here than I could have ever imagined. Can you imagine 60 percent? Its crazy.

Well my brain is jumbled right now but that is a little update at least. I hope to be able to post some better updates as we start to get settled in.

From Uganda -- Out.

PS Prison ministry starts on Monday and our host family is amazing.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

As I read your post, it reminded me of the Dominican. In previous years, the anesthetists would sedate the dogs and roosters because they are sooo dang annoying. They consulted a vet before this trip who said they should prob not do that again. The dog fights and the roosters flying up to your window to kindly greet you at 3am with a lovely high pitched squeel and possibly the most annoying sound ever. We also had a church across the street that sang all hours of the night hah... I feel what you're going through but I imagine for you too it does not ruin your mood because its annoying but yet wonderful to see a culture different than ours!

Anywho, I am glad things are going well. I hope they continue to get better as time goes. 4 days and only 8 weeks and 3 days till your back... :) Enjoy!

Shane A. Jones said...

Hey Sam, Hope your trip is going well. I've been thinking about you a lot. Must be strange and fascinating at the same time. Be safe.

Shane A. Jones said...

I forgot to mention that you look really short next to Manute.

Anonymous said...

I'll just make this brief. I am Old Gregg

Auntie B said...

Woohoo! This is my first blog - EVER!

Several people from our church asked about you this morning wanting to know if you'd made it there. Your group is on our prayer chain.

We're thinking of you and praying for you and are anxious to hear more about what you're experiencing. Be safe.